There are a variety of funding mechanisms through which MSU receives funds, and each award requires careful review for acceptable terms and conditions. If a Principal Investigator (PI) or department administrator receives notice of a funding award from a sponsor, PLEASE FORWARD THE AWARD TO OSP.
OSP will make every effort to communicate effectively and efficiently with the faculty and department administrators about funding awards and the requirements that come with each.
What to expect of OSP:
OSP will notify the PI(s) and department administrators (pre and post award) by email within 1 business day of the award receipt in OSP. The email notification will address the following:
- The nature of the mechanism (federal contract, federal grant, contract, cooperative agreement, etc.) and attach a copy of the award to the email notification (if available).
- The need to complete any related compliance documents as well as budget and/or e-transmittal revisions if applicable.
- Ask PI to review the award, notify OSP of any concerns, and respond via email that he/she is in agreement with the terms as they are stated in the award.
OSP will communicate any special terms and ask for any clarification necessary to negotiate the appropriate award agreement with the sponsor:
- Contract mechanisms require a PI assurance letter to clarify terms of the award at account setup. OSP will generate this letter for the PI to review. OSP will not sign the final agreement until the PI signs the letter to acknowledge the terms of the contract.
- OSP may require clarification from the PI or department about the nature of the project, scope of work, participation of human subjects, anticipated development of intellectual property, or other topics. OSP will communicate with the PI to ensure the funding award incorporates the best terms and conditions for the personnel involved, and the university overall.